Wednesday, July 29, 2009

artist at work...

No new comics this week, but they're coming, I promise!!! I've a lot of other work that holds a priority over this. Until the next page is ready, here's a peek at part of one of the panels I have done already...

Monday, July 20, 2009

Bonfire Sketch-aroo

new comics are on the way, but not getting done this week, so to tide you elite few readers over until then, here's some sketches i did at a bonfire recently. two of the originals were given away, so all I have are facebook-sized photos of them.

I still have this third drawing but I'm to lazy to hunt it down ant scan it in to post here. Maybe later I'll replace this photo with a proper scanned version.

this fourth one was of one of the girls at the bonfire, who had just about the coolest hair-do ever. In fact the drawing really doesn't do it justice.

EDIT: (updated) here is a scan of the third sketch. You may notice a slight alteration i made to Edwin's fishing pole between the time the drawing was photographed and when it was scanned. These sketches were all done with a ballpoint pen, so after i scanned this in, I had to Photoshop out the original fishing pole.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009


I probably won't have any new comics this week, due to the fact that I have so many other things I need to be doing, but as a consolation prize for the faithful few who read these posts, here is a full-sized version of one of the cartoons from volume 1, issue 6 of my series of cartoons. You can see the cleaned-up pencils for this cartoon here.
I have the rough sketches somewhere too, and the original doodled idea, but I'm too lazy to dig them up at the moment...

This picture though should give an idea how large a scale I work with to produce the detail in my comics. I generally do the final versions of these on 9 x 12 inch Bristol board, inking the old-fashioned way with a dip pen. Then I scan this and color it in photoshop and assemble it into the page layout I've established for the series. Sadly the size that blogger limits me to causes some detail to be lost, so I try to keep these from being overly cluttered by minutiae of details that will never be seen in the final version.