Monday, June 29, 2009

X-pired Supers in "Altered Egos"

so, here it is- a project that I've been involved in for the last...month-ish? I came into it after the basic idea had been established and a pretty thorough outline had been written out. I was given this outline/script and proceeded to polish it into a final script, adding several of my own ideas that the other members of the creative team agreed to (the biggest additions were the opening narration and thedialogue-less sequence which I timed out to the introduction from Richard Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra", which is most popularly known for its use in the film 2001: A Space Odyssey) then after we cast the roles from people in the drama group, we had one rehearsal, then 2 weeks for the actors to learn the parts while I planned camera shots and thumbnailed them out.





I even did a very rough animatic of the "Also Sprach Zarathustra" sequence to work out how i would eventually time the cuts and actions to the music:
Then we all got together on the 20th and shot the bulk of the footage over a six-and-a-half hour period. Despite the longer-than planned shooting time we had fun, and the actors came up with a lot of fun ad-libs I incorporated into the final edit. The remaining 3 hours or so of shooting was done the next day at a separate location. (the window in the beginning and ending was filmed a completely different place from the rest of the scenes.) This shoot produced 2.5 hours of footage that I then had to capture from mini DV tapes onto my computer. Once this was done, I edited the piece together. This took about 22 hours, the majority of which was split between two days, the 24th and 25th. Finally, after some feedback and additional tweaking, it was shown on Sunday night, the 28th, at the young adults group that meets at Glad Tiding in Reading.
there was one shot I wanted to something special with- the last shot, I wanted to digitally zoom out and add a photoshopped matte painting to make it seem farther away, but I scrapped the idea because the camera wasn't locked down when i filmed the shot:

No comments: